Davidson is an English company specializing in optical devices that was already in operation at the beginning of the 19th century and continues to manufacture ophthalmic devices and telescopic equipment. It is especially known for this curious mixed Davidson microscope and telescope apparatus. Initially it was thought as a telescope but its short range made it be used as a terrestrial spyglass. A camera can be attached to it. A series of variants were made on the initial model called Davon, numbered successively from 1 to 5.
The appliance is 38 cm long. It has a thread in the middle of the tube that allows it to be separated into two parts, the first one serves as a microscope with a focus by means of a wheel where the name of the manufacturer is registered. Its increase is up to 10 times. The device is protected by a leather envelope for use in the field. As accessories it has several types of support tripods and is stored in a resistant leather box for transport.
There are 19th century documents that refer to its use in George W. Wray Jr.’s “Confederate Odyssey”, The Civil War Collection. Reference is made to its use in the American Civil War.
At the beginning of the 20th century this company manufactured some quality microscopes such as the “Davidson super microscope” from 1914.