Charles Baker’s binocular microscope is a remarkable specimen that is 50 cm tall and stands on a 20 × 9 cm wooden platform. Built entirely in brass, it still maintains its original varnish. It is the type of microscope built to be an expensive present and not a professional working instrument.

The convergence system of the two optical tubes is by means of the classic tube elevation mechanism to adapt to the interocular distance. Its macro focus system is by means of two wheels that act on the rear edge of the rack of the triangular support shaft. Fine focus is achieved by turning a horizontal wheel at the rear of the optical tube. The revolver is for two objectives and its condenser is by means of a diaphragm wheel. Its stand is in the shape of a “Y” or eagle’s claw (clawfoot), a foot frequently used by Charles Baker.

This model appears in their 1861 catalogue. The C. Baker Co. for the manufacture of scientific instruments was established in 244 High Holborn as early as 1769 and was in operation until 1959. It would be Charles Baker (1820-1894) who gave it its period of maximum prestige. After his death, several generations of descendants would still follow him.